No products in the basket.
Focus on: Traveller Tracking
Traveller tracking can be a sensitive subject with organisations and individuals having very mixed views on the topic. Some people can be very accepting and appreciate the need while others can be sceptical i.e. “employers are trying to keep tabs on me”.
In our experience, tracking isn’t being used in a sinister way by organisations, it’s being implemented to enable and support safe travel. There are many types of tracking options available in the market, here at Securewest we offer our clients the following:
- ‘Passive Tracking’ also known as ‘Itinerary Management’. Our system allows you to upload or integrate your travel itineraries. It uses the itinerary to provide location information based on all elements of travel. This give a good indication of where your travellers are at any given point in time.
- Check–In function for location confirmation or lone worker monitoring. This can be managed in two ways; i) Users can check-in ad hoc whenever they decide is an appropriate time, or ii) organisations can schedule check-in times as part of the risk mitigation process.
- Monitor Me is commonly known as the ‘bread crumb’ trail activated by the traveller if they become uncomfortable or lost. It can be set to update the travellers position periodically from as little as 30 seconds up to 60 mins.
- ‘Active Tracking’ is the most accurate and is commonly used if travellers are entering regions of elevated risk. It is user activated and works instantly, consistently and continually until it is turned off.
- Geofencing is where our system can create a virtual geographic boundary, if a traveller leaves or enters that particular area our team will receive a notification. This is mainly used in regions of high or extreme risk and can be used as a risk mitigation measure
- ‘SOS’ enables the traveller to alert our dedicated Global Response Centre and/ or chosen representatives that the traveller requires immediate assistance.
As part of an organisation’s Travel Risk Management framework information about tracking options should be included in documents such as the travel policy and where necessary, written into the mitigations within the travellers Risk Assessment. If organisations are transparent in their application of tracking solutions and clearly state the benefits it will help to eliminate employees’ feelings of distrust and cynicism.
We have found that traveller acceptance can vary immensely depending on the individual’s profile and approach. Some travellers put themselves at greater risk unintentional and are more likely to have an issue due to becoming complacent and over familiar with their surroundings. A lot of organisations will have the “been there, seen it, done it” “it won’t happen to me” type of traveller. Stereotypically they are usually very experienced travellers, who are not particularly tech savvy and don’t feel like they need support. However, in general we are finding employees more accepting of tracking technology. With the explosion of social media and the use of “Check In” and locational information being freely submitted, the workforce, especially the ‘millennials’ generation, value the need and importance of tracking related tools to assist in their travel experience and enhancing safety.
- Use proportionately, tracking will enable and support travel
- The type of tracking should take into considering the following criteria: region, risk level, individual profile, activity, risk appetite, number of travellers i.e. a lone traveller may have different requirements to a group
- Clearly describe the type of tracking and how it is to be used in official documents and policies to promote transparency
- Concisely outline the benefits so travellers see value in using it
- Empower travellers by involving them in the decision-making process and letting them control when it gets activated rather than imposing it on them
We offer a comprehensive range of Travel Risk tools to help your organisation PREPARE, SAFEGUARD & RESPOND. From one off projects to a fully outsourced travel risk management solution, our suite of services can be configured to meet your requirements and support your existing capabilities, budget and duty of care obligations.
For further details please contact +44 (0)1548 856 001 or email us.
What next – contact us
Please get in touch for further information and to discuss your requirements.