No products in the basket.
Weekly Maritime Summary 20 – 26 January 2020
The Securewest Global Response Centre (GRC) recorded 12 maritime related incidents during the reporting period of 20-26 January 2020.
- 20-JAN-20 – Boarding – An underway MT was subject to an attempted boarding approximately 87 nm SSE of Cotonou Port in Benin. The attempt was made by five to six pirates travelling in a skiff.
- 20-JAN-20 – Attack – Container ship ATLANTIC DISCOVERER reported being attacked approx 75nm SSW of Cotonou, Benin.
- 20-JAN-20 – Attack – MV was attacked by six individuals in a skiff approximately 83nm SSE of Lagos, Nigeria.
- 21-JAN-20 – Attack – The MSC GRACE was attacked approximately 20 nm SW of Brass, Nigeria. Around 15 armed persons in a speed boat chased and fired upon the vessel.
- 21-JAN-20 – Bording – An anchored tanker HORIZON MARU approximately 1nm E of Pelabuhan Oil Depot, Batam Island, Indonesia was boarded by four perpetrators armed with knives. The crew confronted them, and captured one, before the remaining three escaped empty-handed.
- 21-JAN-20 – Migrant and Refugee Incident – At least 41 migrants attempted to cross the English Channel, including a boat carrying 14 migrants which sunk off the coast of De Panne, Belgium.
- 22-JAN-20 – Migrant and Refugee Incident – Four boats carrying fifty migrants have attempted to cross the English Channel.
- 22-JAN-20 – Robbery – An anchored bulk carrier was robbed in Taboneo Anchorage, Indonesia. The ship’s store was broken and properties stolen.
- 24-JAN-20 – General Security Warning – UKMTO released an advisory notice for transiting the Strait of Hormuz. UKMTO is issuing this Notice to global maritime operators in order to remind mariners and ship operators of the recommended procedures for transiting the Strait of Hormuz.
- 25-JAN-20 – Migrant and Refugee Incident – French authorities have rescued a boat containing eight migrants in the English Channel.
- 25-JAN-20 – Migrant and Refugee Incident – Twenty-eight migrants have been brought ashore after the boat they were in was intercepted off Kent.
- 25-JAN-20 – General Security Warning – U.S. MARAD 2020-002A Global-Novel Coronavirus Outbreak
|Robbery: Theft from a vessel or from persons aboard the vessel.|
Migrant and Refugee Incident: This could involve Search and Rescue (SAR) operations, or information about a boat capsizing and people drowning, or an attack on the group.
|Boarding: Unauthorized boarding of a vessel by persons not part of its complement without successfully taking control of the vessel.|
|General Security Warning: Incidents which do not fit in the other categories, but enhance the situational awareness, e.g. flag state advisories or an attack on a non- commercial vessel such as a warship|
|Attack: An incident where weapons are discharged by pirates or pirate paraphernalia such as ladder, grappling hook, make contact with the vessel.|
We provide a wide range of Maritime Security and Intelligence services. For further details please contact +44 (0)1548 856 001 or email us.
What next – contact us
Please get in touch for further information and to discuss your requirements.